Over time, it’s normal for your concrete driveway to become tired and worn out. Your first instinct may be to rip it out and replace it completely, however it’s important to know there is another solution – resurfacing!
When to replace concrete:
Of course, there may be times when the concrete is simply too damaged to be resurfaced. Concrete is usually poured over a sub base and when this is not well prepared prior to pouring concrete, it can lead to cracks. The team at Perth Exposed Aggregate will always ensure your concrete has a solid foundation to maximise its longevity.
There are also times when the sub base has been prepared however erosion will create voids underneath which cause cracks. There are a number of ways to identify this on the concrete surface:
- Cracks going in different directions shows that it seriously needs to be replaced
- If there is a crack and one side of the cracked concrete is not of the same height as the other, the concrete will need to be replaced
- A long and somewhat straighter crack can usually be repaired
When to resurface concrete:
If the sub base remains in good condition, the concrete can be resurfaced. Make sure to leave it to the concrete resurfacing professionals at Perth Exposed Aggregate to determine if your concrete is able to be resurfaced.
If it’s safe to resurface, we will repair the concrete and prepare the surface for coating. There are a variety of techniques used to do this, including:
- Spraying coloured concrete on top of the old concrete
- Stencilling to produce patterns in concrete
- Adding pebbles and aggregates to concrete
- Adding acid dyes to change concrete colour and produce a natural look
- Stamping to provide depth and texture to concrete surface
All of these methods can also be combined to create a distinct pattern or design. Talk to one of our friendly team members at Perth Exposed Aggregate about your concrete driveway needs.
At Perth Exposed Aggregate, we are passionate about each and every project, and thrive on helping to create the best home improvements.
If you would like to talk to one of our specialised tradesmen about your next home improvement project please contact: (08) 6189 4988.